As an equestrian, you want to ensure that your horse is comfortable and protected during training and competitions. One way of doing that is by investing in the right protective gear. Tendon boots are an integral part of your horse’s equipment, especially if you’re into showjumping or dressage. But what exactly are tendon boots, and why are they important? In this article, we’ll explore the benefits of tendon boots and how they can help keep your horses safe and comfortable.
What are Tendon Boots?
Tendon boots, also known as fetlock boots, are designed to protect your horse’s lower legs from impact and friction during high-impact activities like jumping. These boots are typically made of a durable outer shell and have a soft, cushioned lining to provide extra comfort to your horse. They are designed to fit snugly around the horse’s fetlock and cannon bone to prevent debris, rocks, and other objects from causing injury to the tendons.
Benefits of Tendon Boots
Tendon boots provide several benefits for your horse, including:
- Protection: Tendon boots are essential in protecting your horse’s tendons, ligaments, and joints from injury caused by impact, friction, or debris.
- Comfort: Tendon boots are designed to fit snugly around the leg, providing both protection and comfort to your horse.
- Increased Performance: When your horse wears tendon boots, they feel more confident and comfortable, allowing them to give their best performance.
- Versatility: Tendon boots can be used for various equestrian disciplines like showjumping, dressage, and polo, making them a versatile piece of equipment.
Types of Tendon Boots
There are different types of tendon boots available in the market, each designed to meet specific needs and preferences. The common types of tendon boots are:
- Open-Front Boots: These boots have an open front design, making them ideal for showjumping as they allow for more freedom of movement.
- Closed-Front Boots: These boots provide more overall support and protection to the legs, making them ideal for dressage and other equestrian activities requiring more lateral movements.
- Ankle Boots: These boots provide extra support to the ankles and can be an excellent option for horses with weak ankles or prone to knocks.
How to Choose the Right Tendon Boots
Choosing the right tendon boots for your horse can be confusing, especially with so many options available in the market. However, you can consider the following factors to make an informed decision.
- Material: Choose boots made of high-quality materials that are durable and can withstand impact.
- Size: Ensure that you choose the right fit for your horse, not too tight or too loose.
- Discipline: Choose boots that are suitable for the equestrian discipline you are into.
- Protection level: Consider the level of protection you want for your horse. For instance, open-front boots offer less protection than closed-front boots.
Tendon boots are an essential piece of equipment for your horse, providing both comfort and protection during high-impact activities like showjumping and dressage. With the right choice of tendon boots, you can help prevent injuries to your horse’s tendons, ligaments, and joints, allowing them to give their best performance. So, take time to invest in quality tendon boots for your horse and watch them shine in the arena!