All you need to know about Medicare supplement insurance plans

If you have a Medicare plan, you are likely to know that Medicare only covers, at best, 80% of the total medical expenses. This is why people prefer having an additional medicare supplemental insurance in Omaha, NE, that covers the remaining 20% not covered by Medicare. This 20% not paid by Medicare is sometimes even referred to as the “copayment” amount, which some customers cannot afford to pay, even in installments.

Omaha is the largest city in Nebraska (NE), US, with a population of around 480k people. Out of which, almost 90% of people have health coverage, with 54.2% on employee plans, 12.6% on Medicaid, 10.1% on Medicare, 11.2% on non-group plans, and 1.43% on military and VA plans. The data depicts that the citizens of Omaha, NE are very well aware of the importance of having a medicare insurance plan. However, if you haven’t opted for a medicare supplemental insurance plan till now and have numerous questions swirling in your mind about it, this article is for you! This article is here to answer all your questions about Medicare supplemental plans. Continue reading!

What are medicare supplement insurance plans?

Medicare supplemental insurance plans provide additional coverage above and beyond the regular Medicare parts A & B. Basically, these plans are designed to cover all or some of the deductible, coinsurance, and excess cost gaps in standard Medicare. Though Medicare A & B provides good coverage on their own, people need additional coverage that caters to those gaps left by Medicare and is therefore often called “Medigap” or “Gap insurance.” However, it will not cover prescriptions, vision, hearing, dental or long-term care. Also, remember that Medigap plans are meant only to supplement your medicare coverage, but they cannot replace it. You must have Medicare Part A and B coverage to opt for a medicare supplement plan. Besides this, you are eligible to purchase supplemental coverage only if you are 65 or older. In addition, it can be enrolled only during the Medigap Open Enrollment period (OEP), within six months of the first day of your 65th birthday month.

How to choose the proper medicare supplemental plan?

Understand your specific needs

When you think of buying medicare supplement insurance, you first need to understand the level of coverage you need and for this, consider asking the following questions to yourself.

  • Do you want extra coverage or basic coverage?
  • Do you want overseas coverage? (it is essential only if you travel outside the country frequently)
  • Is there any specific cost you need help with (deductibles, copayments, coinsurance)?

There are ten supplement plans, and each one differs from another based on the coverage it provides. For example, if you want basic level coverage, Plan A can be a good choice for you; otherwise, for more coverage, you should opt for plans F and G, which covers nearly all of the available benefits.

Find the best plan for your budget.

Now that you have listed medicare supplemental insurance in Omaha, NE, that suits your needs, it is time to narrow down your choices and find the best medicare supplement insurance that fits your budget. But, first, you must know that insurance companies price their plans differently. The three standard premium pricing methods used by companies are:

  • Attained-age rated: premiums are decided based on your current age, and as you get older, the premium cost also increases.
  • Community-rated: everybody has to pay the same premium
  • Issue-age rated: premium is decided based on your age when you enrolled, and costs don’t increase as you get older.


Remember, no one insurance plan is the “best” for everyone. Your needs and budget might differ; however, if you want to leverage the most options, it is a good idea to sign up during your Medicare Open Enrollment Period (OEP). Besides this, don’t forget to ask for discounts from your insurance company.